.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Nominal Me

I'm falling in love with my camera and taking photos everywhere I go. That, combined with my passions for politics, sports, religion and other things we all agree on, makes this blog persist.


My Photo
Name:
Location: Astoria, New York, United States

I'm born in Manhattan and raised in Queens.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Transportation in Chicago

One of the things that make Chicago truly special is its transportation system, which is up there with cities like New York and Washington, D.C. If you live in the right part of the city, or its suburbs, you do not need to own a car. If other cities had transportation systems of this quality, global warming may not be such a big issue.

One main component of it is the Metra Railroad system, which connect Chicago's suburbs to the city.

They have double-decker trains that are interesting to travel in. Well, interesting to me, because I don't have to do it every day.

But what makes Chicago Chicago is its subway system, called the El, part of the city's public transit system.

There is an outdoor loop in the downtown area that is very convenient.

Unlike New York City's system, this one designates colors for their lines. This can get somewhat confusing, as some of the color pallets are worn out. Nevertheless, it's still a good system and even a tourist like myself can get around easily.

The platforms are made of steel, concrete, and wood.

The turnstiles seem to be made by the same company that produces New York City's.

The people look the same too. They learn how to stare blankly, as if no one else was around them.

Being a New Yorker, I was pleased to have the chance to avoid using a car for a while. Because of their public transportation system, I could easily live there if work demanded it.