.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Nominal Me

I'm falling in love with my camera and taking photos everywhere I go. That, combined with my passions for politics, sports, religion and other things we all agree on, makes this blog persist.


My Photo
Name:
Location: Astoria, New York, United States

I'm born in Manhattan and raised in Queens.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

What The Hell Is This?


I've made some serious life decisions lately, and one of them is going to graduate school.

To do that, I have to take the GREs.

To do that, I have to figure out what the hell that problem above means.

I thought I was smarter than the average bear before starting my GRE prep course. I can be witty and charming at times, making people think I have half a brain.

Yet in one two-and-a-half hour course taking a prep class, I realized that I'm selectively smart. I'm smart about the things I choose to be, rather than having a general awareness of a broad range of topics.

Science? Bah. Every once in a while I watch the Science channel, but I really am not on top of advances in this area.

Math? Heh. Haven't used it significantly since high school. Even then I sort of avoided it.

Foreign languages? None. I would tell people to "speak English or get the hell out of my country" if I knew how to say it in their languages.

The fact is, if I'm going to do well on the GRE I'm going to have to study hard. I didn't really work hard in college and hardly at all from K-12. It's time I step up and really apply myself.

It might hurt my blog a little bit. I'm going to cut things down to one or two posts a week in the meantime.

But the experience so far has changed my viewpoint of knowledge. People tend to learn the bare minimum of what they need to know to get by, with a little on top for entertainment. But as far as overall knowledge goes, we seem to stop when we get out of school. That's too bad really. I should know what the problem above means...but I don't.

I'd better learn.

Wish me luck.

RELATED LINKS:
Personal Stuff

4 Comments:

Blogger ArrBee said...

Best of luck! My thoughts will be with you.

Tuesday, 02 August, 2005  
Blogger maria said...

I'm glad I'm not the one who
has to figure this one out.

Good Luck,
Marie

P.S. You might be able to find
some help on the net....

Wednesday, 03 August, 2005  
Blogger maria said...

Forgot to thank you for
giving us a tour of New York Public Library.

Beautiful....
Marie

Wednesday, 03 August, 2005  
Blogger Nominal Me said...

Sadly, I looked up some help for geomotry on the net. It was labeled "seventh grade level".

That made me feel foolish.

Wednesday, 03 August, 2005  

Post a Comment

|

<< Home