.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Nominal Me

I'm falling in love with my camera and taking photos everywhere I go. That, combined with my passions for politics, sports, religion and other things we all agree on, makes this blog persist.


My Photo
Name:
Location: Astoria, New York, United States

I'm born in Manhattan and raised in Queens.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Nothing Says Florida Like Hockey

While in Naples, FL, I went to a hockey game.

Let me repeat...I was in Florida and went to a hockey game.

Yes, this is ridiculous.

The Germain Arena, which is surrounded by Palm Trees, was the location of the game.

It's hot out there.

People who live in Florida are the types who ran away scared from cold weather from places like New York to be in nice, warm places.

So why watch hockey?

Well, Naples, FL just doesn't have a hockey team, they have the 2005 ECHL (East Coast Hockey League) American Conference Champion Florida Everblades.

Impressed?

The Blades have jerseys you can wear.

They have a scoreboard.

They have a mascot, "Swampie" (you know, a Florida gator).

Here is Swampie with an American Flag (here is he skating to the tune "Born In The USA"...I was unsure if he was trying to get a cheap pop or making a political point about the Vietnam War).

They have a bar at the top of the arena.

With a bar comes the obligatory "Mike with a beer" photo.

Most importantly, they have a gazebo.

Well, if that's not enough for you, they also had the CVS All Stars (yes, the drug store chain had a pickup hockey team) play the Boston Bruins All Stars (a bunch of retired players on both teams).

Former New York Rangers and Boston Bruins great Phil Esposito was also there, and he was in good form for an old guy. At least he looked good, I know little of hockey.

It was a high scoring affair.

But the real main event was the Everblades playing the Gwinnett Gladiators, with the away team taking the game 4-2. Not that I knew that though, because we left during the third period.

In the first minute of the game, the fans got what they wanted: a fight. Just like old time hockey. It was standing-room only during the brawl.

The place was packed, and save for the fact that the home team was losing most of the time, it had a great vibe to it.

It was a good time.

RELATED LINKS:
The truth about Slap Shot.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You meant "Zamboni," not "Gazebo,- Right?

Monday, 27 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On my first trip to Texas, a long time ago, my cousin took me to a mall that had an ice skating rink. I'd have been more impressed if it had been an outdoor rink. (Of course, this was in the afternoon, so she was just killing time before we could participate in the primary local activity for teens: driving with her friends from parking lot to parking lot, alcohol and hormones flowing freely.)

Tuesday, 28 March, 2006  
Blogger Nominal Me said...

Uke, yeah, whatever.

Tuesday, 28 March, 2006  
Blogger Nominal Me said...

Anon, only teens do that?

Tuesday, 28 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

|

<< Home