.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Nominal Me

I'm falling in love with my camera and taking photos everywhere I go. That, combined with my passions for politics, sports, religion and other things we all agree on, makes this blog persist.


My Photo
Name:
Location: Astoria, New York, United States

I'm born in Manhattan and raised in Queens.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

What We Take For Granted


Voting.

It seems like such a simple thing, yet elsewhere it proves to be a life or death matter.

A commute.

New Yorkers are up in arms when subways lines break down, with good reason, yet they do not have to worry about the daily threat of car bombs.

Electricity, food, safety, are all more things that are in abundance in our daily lives that we just don't need to worry about them. We are wealthy by any standard. One just needs to read the news every day to see that.

Yet are we happy?

If not now, under these circumstances, then what will make us so?

Less than 1% of our nation now serves in the military. I didn't. That means the vast majority of our nation has no part in protecting our wealth and security. Memorial Day and Veterans Day are times to cook burgers and go shopping.

We are given things on a silver platter.

Yet many of us are stressed out.

It makes me wonder why we take so much for granted.

Other stories on Religion, Science, and Philosophy

5 Comments:

Blogger ArrBee said...

I came to your site via a comment left on mine. I have to say ... I'm a fan. You will become a daily read for me.

Wednesday, 26 January, 2005  
Blogger Nominal Me said...

Thanks Robbie!

Wednesday, 26 January, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a crazy and diluted man. Such an idealist, good luck with that.

Wednesday, 26 January, 2005  
Blogger Nominal Me said...

Thanks Anonymous!

Wednesday, 26 January, 2005  
Blogger Janet said...

I had a discussion with my third graders the other day about not taking things for granted. I say it a lot, but I wanted to make sure they undestood what I meant. Most of my kids are poor, but they don't realize, bc a lot is handed to them. It's a rude awakening though when you go out into the real world.

Nice post.

Wednesday, 26 January, 2005  

Post a Comment

|

<< Home