.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Nominal Me

I'm falling in love with my camera and taking photos everywhere I go. That, combined with my passions for politics, sports, religion and other things we all agree on, makes this blog persist.


My Photo
Name:
Location: Astoria, New York, United States

I'm born in Manhattan and raised in Queens.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Photo Essay: Soldier Field

One of the iconic stadiums in pro football history is Soldier Field, home of the Chicago Bears. While it's not quite Lambeau Field, it has its own storied tradition. It's a hell of a lot better than the swampland Giants Stadium.

The original neo-classical facade that opened up in 1924 is beautiful.

Unfortunately, they renovated the entire stadium in 2003 and dropped a glass spaceship on top of it. The modern structure clashes with the old and just looks plain ugly. I'm sure it helps sell more hot dogs, but there probably is a better design available.

Booooooo!

The Grateful Dead played its last ever concert here in 1995.

Glass? On a neo classical building? Why? Why? Why?

Soldier Field is dedicated to American soldiers who died in wars. It was originally designed in 1919, after World War I (you know, the war to end all wars).


It's most important legacy perhaps is that it was once the home of the XFL's Chicago Enforcers.

Yes. Of course.

I'd love to see a game here someday.