.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Nominal Me

I'm falling in love with my camera and taking photos everywhere I go. That, combined with my passions for politics, sports, religion and other things we all agree on, makes this blog persist.


My Photo
Name:
Location: Astoria, New York, United States

I'm born in Manhattan and raised in Queens.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Women's Basketball Takes A Hit


Is Michigan State University's Kelli Roehrig, a monster on the court, the new face of women's college basketball?

I hope not.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Women's College Basketball, but I will say that last year's UConn-Tennesee final last year was exciting.

Tonight's Baylor destruction of Michigan State was not, and it wasn't just due to the score. It was due to the play.

Missed shots. Missed layups. Bad shot selection. People just bumping into each other. No eye candy.

Yeah, I'm being honest. No eye candy.

Not that Diana Taurasi of UConn was by any means attractive, but at least she looked like an athlete. She also played like one. She had star power. She was someone that ESPN could (and they did) jam down our throats all season long.

Women's College Basketball didn't have that this year. Nor did it seem to have high quality of play.

I'm sure that Kelli Roehrig of Michigan State earned her way on the team, but she just looked ridiculous out there. She looks more like a professional wrestler than a basketball player...on and off the court.

But then again her team got beat so bad tonight, the whole team looked awful.

It wasn't what the sport needed.

Maybe next year.

I know I'm opening myself to charges of sexism, so please allow me to clarify. Even big, lumbering NBA players like Shaquile O'Neal looks like he excercises, and can make things happen in the paint.

That being said, Stacy Dales-Schuman as an analyst is amazing. Yes, she's eye candy, but she actually makes the sport interesting. She clearly has a passion for the game, and ESPN should use her much more often. Perhaps she should be covering the NBA playoffs for the network? She would be great at it.

RELATED LINKS:
More Sports

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see different teams for a change, Jackie.
Nominal Me, you are a hideous ignorant ass. Roehrig dominated Janelle McCarville, the no. 1 draft pick in last year's WNBA draft, as she led MSU to three vitories over Minnesota in 2005. If you knew anything about the game, you'd appreciate her talents, including her deceptive quickness and her soft touch with the ball. In person, she has a drop dead gorgeous face setting atop her sizeable frame; as a person, she is the kindest, sweetest, most generous person you could ever hope to meet--the last person on the face of the earth to say or publish anything mean spirited about another human being, even a nominal one.

Monday, 09 January, 2006  
Blogger Nominal Me said...

You are right on all accounts, I do not follow women's college basketball. I only know what I saw on this day, and what I saw was pretty bad basketball.

Thanks for stopping by and making a comment anon.

Monday, 09 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

|

<< Home