.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Nominal Me

I'm falling in love with my camera and taking photos everywhere I go. That, combined with my passions for politics, sports, religion and other things we all agree on, makes this blog persist.


My Photo
Name:
Location: Astoria, New York, United States

I'm born in Manhattan and raised in Queens.

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Terrorism Changes New York, For the Better


Terrorists have made their impact: a greener New York City.

I can remember, back in 1993, walking up to the World Trade Center's Twin Towers and seeing stone structures holding plants near the doors. To the average tourist, it was a nice display of the greener side of New York City.

New Yorkers knew better. This was shortly after the bombing of the World Trade Center, and the stone structures were put near the doors to discourage car bombs from getting into the building.

In a post-September 11th New York, plant-holding barricades have been put up in front of landmarks all over the city.


A few weeks ago, similar stone barriers were erected in front of Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue in New York City.

When seeing them for the first time, it occurred to me that terrorism has done more to "green" New York City than any other force I know.

Threats against our city have added to more plants and trees being planted in New York than actions from environmental or civics groups.

How is that for unintended outcomes?

It's a blessing to count.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NYC has changed a lot.. The 1st time I was there was back in 98 and then again this summer.. It feels more friendlier then where I live.. but I guess thats in some areas were you are.. :)

Kimm
http://paddling-geek.net

Thursday, 25 November, 2004  
Blogger Nominal Me said...

Rudy Giuliani was a Godsend to New York, and his work made the city a much nicer place.

Hopefully, it will stay the same now that Rudy is gone.

Saturday, 27 November, 2004  

Post a Comment

|

<< Home