.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Nominal Me

I'm falling in love with my camera and taking photos everywhere I go. That, combined with my passions for politics, sports, religion and other things we all agree on, makes this blog persist.


My Photo
Name:
Location: Astoria, New York, United States

I'm born in Manhattan and raised in Queens.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Can Boxing Corruption Be KO'd?


On Monday, the U.S. Senate, spearheaded by John McCain, voted to establish a federal boxing commission.

In theory, the commission would establish standards for issuing licenses to boxers and managers and take steps to protect boxer health and safety, which is sorely needed. The bill is in the hands of the House of Representatives now, and President Bush is said to support it.

Not all boxing enthusiasts agree that this is a good move, although their arguments seem a little too theoretical and hardly convincing.

The reality is that most major American sports are regulated in one way or another on a national basis. This is certainly true of football and baseball, the nation's two most popular sports, which are legalized monopolies.

It is also true that boxing is, in theory, regulated by state boxing and/or athletic commissions (or, in the case of most fights in Connecticut, native-American organizations).

But this is a big theory. It seems in practice, these commissions are more regulated by the major boxing promoters, than the other way around. Boxing's alphabet soup of regulating bodies is a joke, which endangers the health and safety of its athletes. The current system is designed to hide problems, rather than deal with them.

Will a national commission solve all of boxing's problems? Probably not. But it will create one set of rules and a national voice to enforce them. Problems can not longer be hidden in the deserts of Nevada or the obscure halls of an Indian gaming commission.

Boxing promoters will not be able to feed off of the weakest commissions, and an average boxer may have a real advocate of its safety.

In the long run, boxing will stay corrupt. It's just the name of the game. How honest and upfront can a sport designed to give others brain damage be? But in the short run, a national boxing commission might give boxers pensions, healthcare, and a more level playing field.

That's enough of a reason to do it.

The House should pass the bill and the president should make it a law.

Then people can go beat the crap out of each other with greater fairness and equity.

RELATED LINKS:
Other Politics

Why Boxing Should Have a National Commission

Boxing Experts Weigh In On The Issue


WEB LINKS:
Check out Dr. Strangejazz's daydream of being a black leader.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's good in theory but gov't has a history of being corrupt. Hopefully they can make a bit of a difference. But I'm not holding my breath.

Tuesday, 10 May, 2005  
Blogger Nominal Me said...

Oh, I totally agree. I think, in this case though, one national corrupt system is better than the 50+ that exist today.

Tuesday, 10 May, 2005  
Blogger Crystal said...

I know I usually hate getting the type of distracting comment I am about to comment on your post but I am going to comment anyway...It really bothers me and troubles me deeplythat time & $$ are being spent (in my opinion WASTED)on this when there are huge problems with illegal aliens and health care system (yes my two biggest concerns)just to start off...ok :-) I am sure it matters to someone but most certainly I am not one of them!

Tuesday, 10 May, 2005  
Blogger Crystal said...

I know I usually hate getting the type of distracting comment I am about to comment on your post but I am going to comment anyway...It really bothers me and troubles me deeplythat time & $$ are being spent (in my opinion WASTED)on this when there are huge problems with illegal aliens and health care system (yes my two biggest concerns)just to start off...ok :-) I am sure it matters to someone but most certainly I am not one of them!

Tuesday, 10 May, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

RE: Crystal

I don't know if you know this already Crystal, but there are a lot of illegal aliens in boxing so this does have something to do with one of your major concerns.

Tuesday, 10 May, 2005  

Post a Comment

|

<< Home