.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Nominal Me

I'm falling in love with my camera and taking photos everywhere I go. That, combined with my passions for politics, sports, religion and other things we all agree on, makes this blog persist.


My Photo
Name:
Location: Astoria, New York, United States

I'm born in Manhattan and raised in Queens.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Fighting The Tide


The road has many temptations (and I’m not even talking about that kind,…those of you with dirty minds).

There’s bad food, bad TV, and Wal-Mart.

In New York City, living in the comfort of my apartment, I was able to avoid all three.

But the forces are tugging against me.

When driving from city to city, there is nothing but fast food near the exit ramps. McDonalds are everywhere. They call to you in the night…”eat me Mike, I’m quick and cheap”. Israel and I were driving the other day and got off the exit ramp to look for local food (re: not fast food) and it took us 20 minutes to find a local diner. The diner was horrible (but they pronounced “gyro” right).

When you check into the hotel after driving for hours, your mind is racing. So you turn on the boob tube and watch random stuff -- last night was the movie Whiteboys.

I stayed up until 1:30 AM watching a movie about white kids in Iowa trying to be gangsta rappers. It was unwatchable and hilarious at the same time.

Because I’m staying at a suite in Appleton, WI, I had a chance to buy groceries. Where did I go?

Wal-Mart.

Why? Do I want people to have low wages? Do I want Chinese people to build all that I own? Do I want American manufacturing jobs to go to Ecuador or something? Do I want all that is globalism to rain down on Appleton, WI?

Well, no.

I had no choice, kind of. You see, I know I can buy just about anything I want there. So I did.

It was easy.

It’s all easy.

I can’t afford to drive around getting lost in cities I know nothing about.

Which is why I may be fat, mindless, and brainless by the end of the tour.

But they have Perkins restaurants here (anyone here remember those from upstate NY?), so I’m golden.

Ugh.

RELATED LINKS:
America's Treasures

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"eat me Mike, I’m quick and cheap"
I love it when a woman says that to me......

Anyway... I digress... I LOVE WALLMART!!!! God do I miss them. One store, bargain prices, *sigh*. My 25" TV was 189 at Wallmart 10 years ago... still going strong....
Fast Food is the bain of America. It is SO hard to eat somewhat healthy on the road or while traveling anywhere. Get yourself a good pair of running shoes and protein shakes and try to eat healthy.

Here's another little tidbit for you-- your moment of Zen if you will. From todays NY Times regarding Pat Robertson's call to kill Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez:

Pat Robertson has made controversial statements in the past. In October 2003, he suggested that the State Department be blown up with a nuclear device. He has also said that feminism encourages women to ''kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.''

It's guys like this that make people hate religion.

Tuesday, 23 August, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They have Perkins in Canada too! There's one in Ottawa and I love it. Mmmm.. blueberry waffle....

Friday, 26 August, 2005  
Blogger Nominal Me said...

I'm a big fan of the hot open turkey sandwhich...I think I'll do a run today.

Saturday, 27 August, 2005  

Post a Comment

|

<< Home