.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Nominal Me

I'm falling in love with my camera and taking photos everywhere I go. That, combined with my passions for politics, sports, religion and other things we all agree on, makes this blog persist.


My Photo
Name:
Location: Astoria, New York, United States

I'm born in Manhattan and raised in Queens.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Retro Moment: The Great White Hype


The best movie no one has seen. Posted by Hello

Throughout history, there have been motion pictures that have changed the industry forever.

The Great White Hype was not one of them. Nevertheless, it remains one of the funniest movies few people have ever seen.

If you're a fan of boxing or sports movies in general, this one is for you. The plot, described in detail here, leads you to a world of corruption, silliness, and pre-politically-correct humor with an all-star cast.

It begins with a montage later stolen by another film classic, 3000 Miles to Graceland, and takes you into the world of a Don-King like promoter (Samual L. Jackson). The heavyweight champ, played by Damon Wayans is beating his opponents so bad that no one wants to watch him anymore.

So what's a promoter to do? Find a "great white hope" to fight him for the title. But as we all know in real life, finding a white heavyweight contender is pretty hard, and these guys weren't around yet.

So what's a promoter to do? Make a white contender. Comedy ensues.

I mean, where else can you get some great dialogue, like:

"I could beat Conklin and my meat at the same time!" ...and...

"Hey, we ain't duckin' you man. You're just so black we can't find you!"

You will find a great number of actors you recognize in this gem, including Jeff Goldblum, Corbin Bernsen, Jon Lovitz, Cheech Marin, and Jami Foxx. You'll also find a couple of midgets, but I don't know who they are.

Not everyone appreciates the work of art this movie is, but I encourage you to rent it or pick it up for six bucks.