.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Nominal Me

I'm falling in love with my camera and taking photos everywhere I go. That, combined with my passions for politics, sports, religion and other things we all agree on, makes this blog persist.


My Photo
Name:
Location: Astoria, New York, United States

I'm born in Manhattan and raised in Queens.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Star Wars: My Childhood Strikes Back


At 10 AM tomorrow, Thursday, May 19, my childhood is over.

As Dr. Strangejazz has noted, upon my first viewing of Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, I must say goodbye to a great part of my youth.

I was born at the right time, the early 70s, to get the full picture of what George Lucas' world of a galaxy far far away was really like.

I played with the toys, worshiped Princess Leia (and Carrie Fisher by extension), read the comic books, obsessed over the movies, debated the merits of different topics, etc.

My inner geek has been awakened over the past few weeks (as you can probably tell from my Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, and Revelations posts). I've been reading Star Wars books lately, and lamenting on how fast nearly 30 years has gone by.



Boy I loved those action figures. The funny thing is that I rarely played Star Wars with them. I turned them into professional wrestlers (Luke was Barry Whindham and Han was Mike Rotundo, reuniting the American Express tag team) at times, and football players other times (the Stormtroopers had a team all to themselves, and they'd go up against GI Joe action figures -- since they already were wearing helmets).

I also had somewhat of a strange side to me, and I would use the action figures to re-enact historical events. I re-enacted the Reagan assassination with Han Solo being Reagan, and Lobot being James Brady (I know this is so wrong, but I was a little kid). I even took photos of it. Boy, I really need to dig those up.

When I did play Star Wars games, I used GI Joe action figures as Rebel troops.

It's funny, it's been a long time since I've thought about any of that stuff, but it's all coming back to me simply because a movie is coming out.



It's funny how the mind works.

So much of my childhood was spent on Star Wars. Finally, the two trilogies are complete.

Does this mean I have to be an adult now?

Damn.

RELATED LINKS:
Other "Looking At Things"

I know many of you are more interested in my Princess Leia pictures than my words. You can find more of those pictures here.

Buy a Princess Leia metal bikini for your girlfriend for less than $400!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the people that say He-Man and Skeletor are more bad-ass than the Star Wars crew. No way IG-88 and Boba Fett lose out to them. I know a guy named Eurek that would beat um' all.

Thursday, 02 June, 2005  

Post a Comment

|

<< Home