.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Nominal Me

I'm falling in love with my camera and taking photos everywhere I go. That, combined with my passions for politics, sports, religion and other things we all agree on, makes this blog persist.


My Photo
Name:
Location: Astoria, New York, United States

I'm born in Manhattan and raised in Queens.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Let's Go Sabres!

While walking around South Street, my coworkers and I decided to have a beer and relax for a while. I looked up at the television and saw that the Buffalo Sabres were playing in the NHL playoffs and were winning their game 7-2.

Being a Buffalo Bills fan, I have an affinity for all things Buffalo. When it comes to Hockey, I really don't care too much about it, but I'll nominally root for my childhood team the New York Islanders when they play.

But this is the playoffs, and the Islanders suck. So it's the Sabres.

Well, the Sabres scored again, making it 8-2, and I screamed out "YEAH" to celebrate. It only took my a split second to realize that the whole bar was looking at me, and they weren't happy.

Then I realized that the Sabres were playing the Philadelphia Flyers, and I was in South Street Philadelphia.

Oh well.

These two in particular seemed to want me dead.

The bartender came up to me and asked me if I was from Buffalo, so I gave him the story of how I was a big Bills fan. Well, due to the Sabres victory, he decided to start bashing the Buffalo Bills for losing four Super Bowls.

For a while, I took it in stride, as I was on their turf and they all probably felt bad that their hockey team was an abject failure.

Then something clicked in my head and I decided that the Bills jokes weren't funny anymore. At that second I blurted out to the bartender:

"Jim Kelly may have lost four Super Bowls, but at least he never dry heaved during a two minute drill with the Super Bowl on the line."

Immediately again I realized I was the least popular guy in the bar right now, and it was time to go.

So much for the "City of Brotherly Love" and making friends.

Let's go Sabres!